Last year saw terrible flooding strike the UK and you could find yourself without a home and in need of alternative accommodation if your house is hit particularly badly. Since cover towards the cost of this is usually providing as part of a buildings insurance policy, it could be advisable to check now to see if this is indeed the case.

Different policies provide different types of cover, so it’s important to know exactly what to expect should the worst happen. Some will provide cover based on time, anything from six months to three years, while others provide cover for a specific amount of money.

If you have pets at home, you also need to know if your policy covers costs for a kennel or cattery – but you might be surprised to hear that, according to Defaqto research, 27 per cent of home insurance products do not include this.

“It is essential for all policyholders to check their insurance cover to ensure that they are aware of any limitations to the cover provided towards the costs of alternative accommodation. Pet owners should also check whether cover is included towards potential kennel or cattery costs,” insight analyst with Defaqto Mike Powell remarked.

According to a recent report from the Royal Society, the UK is likely to face extremes of weather in the future, with the risk of flooding exposure as a result of extreme rainfall potentially quadrupling by the end of the century.